Monday, May 24, 2010

Meal Time

Lately I have been searching for some new recipes to make just to have something different. I reverted back to a few recipes I ate growing up but just haven't made in a while. We are now on our second week full of all sorts of new/new-old recipes.

We started with homemade pulled pork with a homemade mustard-base bbq sauce, coleslaw and a new recipe for banana pudding for dessert. Gil and I both liked all of it. The pulled pork definitely made the house really hot though so I think I will wait to make that again until I am not pregnant and not living in HI without central air!

Next up was corned-beef and cabbage. I love this meal and don't know why we only eat it around St. Patrick's day. We had it a week after St. Patty's day because Gil wasn't home for St. Patty's and to me it doesn't really matter. It is such a good, filling meal I don't know why we need a holiday to eat it. So from now on we will eat it any time we want! Gil really loved it since there were so many veggies.
The next few recipes we did were found on Real Simple. We tried chicken with creamy mushrooms. I served it with rice. We liked it but thought it need a little more flavor. Next new recipe was roasted chicken with sweet potatoes and parsnips in olive oil and maple syrup. I loved the chicken and Gil loved the veggies. Both of these recipes we are going to go back to the drawing board and tweak them a little. The roasted chicken won't need much work...just a little less cook time and I think a little more seasoning on the veggies.

Finally tonight I made stuffed shells, salad and homemade garlic bread. This one was hands down our favorite. There was absolutely nothing we would have changed about it so it is definitely going down into the recipe box.

We actually had a whole day of really good food. Gil bought a blender a few days ago so we have been making smoothies every morning. Today we had pineapple, mango and peach and I think it was our best yet. Then for lunch we just had simple ham sandwiches but they were just very tasty today. Then to top it all off we had a great Italian dinner. No dessert though. I have had a MAJOR sweet tooth lately so I have been trying to limit the amount of desserts I make. I have a whole list of desserts I want to make but I am trying to have enough will power to spread them out over time...so far so good.

I wish I had more pictures of these meals to share, I will try and get better at snapping a few shots before we eat.

I know this was a long one all about food but those who know me, know how much I love food so I apologize to those who didn't find this post super entertaining, next one won't be all about food.

Hope you all have a good week and an even better long holiday weekend.

3 comments:

Bridget said...

Ooh I like reading about different recipe ideas. I'll have to check out Real Simple. Have you heard of 101cookbooks.com? I think that's the site. Great recipes ideas in there.

mandahugandkiss said...

Your menus sound great! Glad to see you have gotten your appetite back! You make an adorable pregnant lady Amanda. :)

Kathy Terry said...

Love the photo. HHmmmm, let me guess where you guys are sitting. I think maybe Gil is with the beer and you are with the glass of milk. :)

Love you!