Thursday, November 20, 2008

First Surfing Injuries

The first of what I assume to be many!!!

So for those who don't know yet, Gil and I bought surfboards a week ago.  We really loved  it when our friend took us out and knew we would buy boards at some point so we decided to commit and get our boards sooner rather than later.  Some what of an early Christmas present for us.  We went to a new and used board store called Kimo's in the town we live in.  We walked in not knowing too much but the owner of the store (Kimo) was really good.  He spent an hour and a half with us asking us questions and explaining the purpose of each board and what would be best for us.  We narrowed it down to two boards.  The best part is that Gil and I are able to use both of them.  If I want a little easier time I can use Gil's board and if he wants to make it a little more difficult he can hop onto my board.  It was really two boards for the price of one.  Kimo even gave us exercise to work on and told us what beaches for us to start out on. 

Ever since we got our boards we have been trying to go out whenever possible.  Gil hasn't had much time off lately so we decided to take advantage of his extended weekend.  They got out of work early so that they could go to 'Family Day,' which was required.  Apparently we had the time wrong though because when we got there, no food was being served and there were very few people.  Shortly after our friends arrived and after we ate we headed out and went to the beach. 

Our friends met up with us at the beach and we spent the afternoon surfing and boogie boarding; or should I say balancing and boogie boarding.  Gil and I aren't exactly capable of actually catching a wave yet...not that we didn't try, hence the (or my) injuries.  It was pretty amusing to watch us because every time we tried to catch a wave we would fly off one way and the board would fly off the other way.  Very funny from an outside perspective.  I think the waves were just out to get me.  Soon enough I am going to look tan due to bruises rather than a sun tan!   It was a good time though and afterward we went out and got sushi.  

Sunday we headed back out.  One of Gil's college roommates (Brent) lives here and has been taking us out when he can.  We went by Diamond Head which is right outside of Honolulu.  The waves were pretty big and very strong.  Little'ol me couldn't even stay on my board.  Towards the end, Gil finally committed and caught a wave.  After being run-over by another woman and cutting my foot on the coral I headed back in and practiced my exercises then worked on my tan rather than my bruises.  

It is definitely going to take time to get up on our boards and be comfortable but so long as we are having fun that is all that matters.  I still don't have any pictures of us and our boards, every time we go out I forget to take pictures but I promise I will get some soon.  

No comments: