I researched it to find out what it is and it is basically the root of a plant that they cook down to form a paste. The fresher it is the sweeter it is; the longer it sits the more sour it becomes. It is still edible as it gets more sour but they switch its use. If it is sweet they just each it straight (or mix it with milk and or sugar); if it is more sour they will use it with salted fish.
We never had it in a liquid form but it does make amazing pancakes and dinner roles. It adds such a sweet touch to the bread and pancakes (it also adds a wonderful purple tint.)
There are many places online to buy a poi (taro) pancake mix if you want to give them a try. (www.tropicislemusic.com/food/poi3.htm)
Here is a good website if you want to learn a little bit more about poi:
www.paradisecovehawaii.com/FunFacts/poi.com
1 comment:
I love a good meal with taro in it. it's got a nice sweet starchy taste. if you eat it raw tho you're in for some pain, or payne as the case may be.
I'll be sure to add your site to my blogroll (favorite links) on my own blog. I'm glad you're keeping us abreast!
everything in nyc is grand, and even tho we're on opposing sides of this country, perhaps jeni and I will make it out there. maybe on our way to or from china this spring.
miss you roomie! be well for me and say hi to gilmeister.
allthebest
mike
Post a Comment