Sunday, May 27, 2012

What happened to May...

I had so much to catch up on a month ago and now I have been MIA for so long I have 50 times more stuff.  We have been pretty busy as of late.  We moved into our new house (on base) and we are loving it.  Gil's commute to work is now 5 mins and the days he isn't in the field he can come home for lunch again.  We are quickly settling in and coming up with all sorts of projects for the house.  The big project is new curtains for the living/dining room.  I am going to attempt to make them myself.  I just bought fabric this weekend and am very excited to get started.  We have already completed a few minor projects around the house like adding some shelving and baby proofing the sliding pantry door.  Thanks to pinterest I come up with new projects regularly.

Grandma D came to visit this month for a week.  We had a blast.  B is at such a fun age I am glad Grandma got to spend some time with her at this age.  Gil had a four day weekend so we used that time to show Grandma around our new stomping grounds.  We spend a day in Palm Springs with brunch at Cheeky's and a trip up the Aerial Tram.  We also went to Sea World for the first time.  It was a beautiful day; nice and sunny but not too hot.  B's favorite was the Shamu show and the penguins.  We hope to make another trip to Sea World when our friends visit for 4th of July.  Grandma got to attend My Gym with B and her friend.  It was fun for Grandma to see her interact with all the other kids and see how happy she is doing all the different activities that the teachers set up.  On Grandma's last day, I took her to our local market which was bustling with vendors.  They seem to be gearing up for summer and there were so many more vendors and customers.  It was a lot of fun.  We both ended up leaving with all sorts of goodies, vegetables, fruits, flowers as well as hand woven baskets from Ghana (thanks again, Grandma.)  Grandma didn't fly out till Saturday night so we went back to Palm Springs for a wonderful seafood dinner at Pacifica.  It was our first time there and we will definitely be going back...and hopefully soon.

Lately, I have really been getting into sewing.  I want to learn to quilt and plan to take a quilting class later this summer.  I have a few projects that I want to attempt this summer, including a shirt for B, a family quilt for picnics, and a baby blanket for a friend.  We will see how it all goes.  I will keep you updated on all my little projects.

We are really looking forward to this summer.  We have our high school reunion this June in Vegas.  It is very exciting to think we will be able to catch up with friends who we haven't seen in almost 10 years.  So many of us are married and have kids now it will be fun to meet their families.  Also, some military friends of ours will be visiting for the 4th of July and my parents will be coming out at the end of July for a few days.

Shortly after summer we will be celebrating B's second birthday!  I can't believe it.  It is just around the corner.  Time has flown by.  She is growing into such a little toddler.  She is starting to vocalize her opinion and it won't be long before she is talking up a storm.  We just bought her big girl bed...which just seems crazy!  The big reason we bought it so soon was because it was on sale.  I am hoping she won't be ready for it until her birthday but who knows.  She is changing everyday and you just never know what will be next.  B's hair is finally getting a little longer.  Sadly she is not a big fan of my playing with it.  I have managed to get pigtails in once, which was too cute for words!  I think once it gets a little longer she won't mind so much because it won't pull...at least that is my hope.  She loves going to the playground which is across the street from our house now.  She likes to go on the swings then always tells me to go sit down and swing.  It is really cute.  She is becoming a pro at the slide as well.  She is so proud of herself when she goes down all by herself.  Her personality is growing and changing everyday.  She definitely knows what she does and doesn't want.  Her favorite things right now are spaghetti (just about the only thing I can get her to eat right now), her new doll stroller from Grandma (which she puts clothes and cups in instead of dolls), and playing in the water, whether it be the hose in the backyard or the pool.  Also another favorite thing of hers is playing with her friend M.  They both just light up now when they see each other.  It is really fun to see the friendship grow between the two of them.

 

We recently got a taste of the summer heat (it hit 113 the other day) and I think we will be spending a LOT of time at the pool.  We went to the base family pool the other day and surprisingly B loved it.  She doesn't seem to like the splash pad but the pool she loved.  It took a little warming up but by the end she was jumping/stepping off the edge right into the pool.  For a girl who hated the pool not even 6 months ago, I was amazed!  We hope to make it a weekly summer activities with our friends.  I think we will have to...it is the only way to make the heat bearable.

Well, that basically catches me up so here are a few more pictures of our life lately.  Think of it as a really big non-Friday photo dump.





Sorry for the crazy layout of photos.  Still trying to figure out the new setup at blogger.

1 comment:

Alyssa said...

It sounds like you're staying busy but having a ton of fun. Good luck with your new sewing projects. You can do it! What did we make back in jr. high...book covers?