Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Best Spaghetti Sauce Ever!

I am an adamant reader of the blog Smitten Kitchen. I love her writing style as well as the photos of each dish. Just reading the title of her last post (tomato sauce with onion and butter) I couldn't resist making it. We had another meal planned for last nights dinner but it got nixed for this deliciously simple spaghetti sauce. I recommend everyone to try it. Gil likes it so much he has decided that this will be the only spaghetti sauce we will ever make...it is so good we couldn't help but finish the leftovers for breakfast! I think it would also make a great pizza sauce if you puree it. We will be trying that next.
Tomato Sauce with Butter and Onions
Adapted from Marcela Hazan's, Essentials of Italian Cooking

Serves 4 (or dinner and breakfast for 2)

28 ounces whole peeled tomatoes from a can (San Marzano, if you can find them)
5 tablespoons unsalted butter
1 medium yellow onion, peeled and halved
Salt to taste

Put the tomatoes, onion and butter in a heavy saucepan over medium heat. Bring the sauce to a simmer then lower the heat to keep the sauce at a slow, steady simmer for about 45 minutes, or until droplets of fat float free of the tomatoes.

Stir occasionally, crushing the tomatoes against the side of the pot with a wooden spoon. Remove from heat, discard the onion, add salt to taste and keep warm while you prepare your pasta.

Serve with spaghetti.

Hope you enjoy!


7 comments:

Joanna said...

Wow that is a pretty good review! I will have to try it. I haven't found a spaghetti sauce recipe that I love yet. Thanks for posting it!

Bridget said...

Wow that sounds delish! My favorite part is you discard the onion cause I hate onions! I like their flavor but not their texture...does that make sense?

A.Desroches said...

I know exactly what you mean Bridget. I don't feel that way about onions but I do about beans!

Alyssa said...

I'll definitely be trying this one!

Kathy Terry said...

Dad made this and it was delicious! He made it again and added cinnamon, oregano and parsley and then pureed it for pizza sauce. That was just as good as the spaghetti sauce.
Glad you found this!
Happy Cooking!
Love, Mom

Unknown said...

Hey hey - how goes it?
My dad just made this for dinner!
He was talking about how easy it was, and the whole while I was thinking how much it sounded like the one you wrote about...well, it turns out they were one and the same! It was in the newspaper over here this past Thursday. Next time I'm gonna try it myself :D

Matt

Joanna said...

So I made this the other night and it was great. I too love how there aren't onion bits in it but it still has the taste. I added whole crushed garlic, taken out at the end, and basil and oregano. It was really good. And like you said, the leftovers were great too.